Hello and welcome to another edition of This Month in Solid!
Solid is a set of open specifications, built on existing open standards, that describes how to build applications in such a way that users can conveniently switch between data storage providers and application providers and take the data generated along.
This is a monthly summary of Solid progress.
Want something mentioned? Contact the Solid Manager at email@example.com. This Month in Solid is openly developed on GitHub. If you find any errors in this month’s issue please submit a pull request.
Weekly Solid Call
Every Thursday there is an hour long public call where newcomers can introduce themselves, anyone can ask general questions about Solid, and we recap the weeks works on Solid.
Tune in next week on the 14th November at 1000 CEST on this line.
There are few upcoming events where you can learn more and meet others working on Solid:
- 2019-11-14 Mitzi László will be speaking at the ECP Jaarcongres in the Hague
- 2019-11-20 Solid London organised by Kartika Tulusan
2019-11-21 Solid Montreal organised by David H Manson
- 2019-12-10 Solid Enschede organised by Erwin Folmer
- 2019-01-xx (date to be confirmed) Solid Amsterdam organised by Jeroen van Beele
Solid Events are run by people like you, read more about tips on organising a successful Solid events here. Have you seen any articles or talks about Solid this week? If you’ve seen any talks, articles, or written blog posts about Solid please do send them over for next week.
Solid Apps, Pods, and ID
- LBSPrototype is a way to search for restaurants by location. Update Location adds three location files each with a different precision based on your current location, RestaurantSearch uses your location added to find your nearest restaurants, FindMyFriend shows you friends location detail if they have it and to the level they have specified on their POD to the location files. LBSPrototype was created as part of a masters research project at the University of Melbourne, Australia
- Notepod is a new simple note-taking app that stores notes in your Solid Pod. It was created as a demonstration of how to create Solid apps — inspect its commit messages for more detailed guidance on reading data, authenticating, and more.
The Solid Standard
The data interoperability panel and the authorisation panel are starting to collaborate around the intersection of how data is organised and discovered in the pod and how users authorise access to it.
Until next week!