5th September 2019
Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Solid!
Solid is a standard that describes how to build data storage and applications in such a way that users can conveniently switch between data storage providers and application providers and take the data generated along. If you have a suggestion on how to improve this description you may be interested in joining the Explaining the Vision panel who are working on describing Solid in a Nutshell.
This is a weekly summary of Solid progress.
Weekly Solid Call
Every Thursday there is an hour long public call where newcomers can introduce themselves, anyone can ask general questions about Solid, and we recap the weeks works on Solid.
You can read the minutes of this weeks call here.
Next weeks call will be on the 12th September at 1600CEST on this line. You can find the agenda here where you can also add items by joining the W3C Solid Community Group or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Talks & Articles
Have you seen any articles or talks about Solid this week? If you’ve seen any talks, articles, or written blog posts about Solid please do send them over for next week.
Upcoming Solid talks:
- Mitzi L to speak at the Nextcloud conference on the 15th September
Solid Events are run by members of the Solid community like you. If you are interested in organising a Solid Event you may be interested in reading the tips for a organising successful Solid events here.
|12-09-2019||Solid Berlin||Christian Buggadei|
|10-10-2019||Solid Amsterdam||Jeroen van Beele|
If you have any new apps, Pods, or identity providers or there are updates to existing Solid implemntations make sure to add them to the list so they get included in next weeks edition. There are no updates on Solid implementations this week.
The Solid standard is currently referred to as the specification.
All work on Solid Development is carried out on the Solid GitHub account. Here is an overview of the the repositories on the Solid GitHub.
Solid Development Process
- Represent elements related to solid/process in RDF
- For what purposes should administrator privileges be used?
- Standard LICENSE.md for panel repos
- Specification repo should not be top-listed on solid org
- Restore overwrites and update links from prior merge
Approved Process changes
- Update code-of-conduct.md and Style document with headings and Update code-of-conduct.md
- Provide more context around items under editorial review
Solid Development Roles
Anyone can apply to be an editor by submitting a pull request.
Solid Panels are groups of individuals focused on a specific problem or domain relevant to Solid, with an aim to propose changes to the Solid Specification, Solid Roadmap, and/or Supporting Documentation. Anyone may join a panel or suggest a new panel by submitting a pull request.
Solid Proposal Development
Here is an overview of active panel conversations to work on generating proposals this week.
There have been some changes to panels:
- remove humans and machines panel
- remove natural language processing panel
- Match Panels to Editor Assignments and List Tools
- Abrupt change to form and scope of panels
- Link panels to editor teams
- Storing panels data on a Pod
- Correct contact info
|Accessibility Panel||no activity|
|App Authorization Panel||no activity|
|Artificial Intelligence Panel||no activity|
|Authentication Panel||no activity|
|Caching Panel||no activity|
|Cryptography (Signing and Encryption) Panel||no activity|
|Data Interoperability Panel||no activity|
|Explaining the Vision Panel||no activity|
|External Interop and Outreach Panel||no activity|
|Identity Panel||no activity|
|Internationalisation Panel||no activity|
|Natural Language Processing Panel||no activity|
|Notifications Panel||no activity|
|Privacy and Individuals Rights Protection Panel||no activity|
|Query Panel||no activity|
|Self Hosting||no activity|
|Specification Entry Document Panel||How does client apps know that certain ACL files cannot be deleted?|
|Teaching Materials Panel||no activity|
|Test Suite Panel||Added inrupt pod sever config, inrupt-pod-server Dockerfile is missing config.json , Update some version dependencies, More tests with authenticated users and various origins|
Proposals for Editorial Review
This week the following proposals were reviewed.
|Proposal||Associated Panel||Editorial Assignment||Substantive Change (yes/no)||Vote of Assigned Editors|
|Write CORS section and Add CORS section||Explaining the Vision Panel||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Add HTTP section||Explaining the Vision Panel||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
Updates on Solid Projects
Solid projects are activities happening on the Solid GitHub other than panesl. Below are the links to where there were active conversations on each of the projects.
- Reverting a fix that redirects user to Pod to agressively
- :ant: Reuse ldp
- reduced solid server/api/microservice
- GET on ANY container with an index.html returns HTML, not Turtle
- /profile/card should not use searchIndex in resource-mapper.mapUrlTofile
- .acl resource created with POST are created as .acl.ttl
- Tweaks to get the tests for tabs.js working
- Adding normalize
- Some default styles are missing from mash.css
- The rounded corners on the tabs.js tabs are rather wide
- Allow blank nodes to be reused across expressions
- Adding audience
- Added methods to filter panes based on user roles (Developer/PowerUser)
- Adds optional cancelButton to end of tabs
- Don’t store this field’s default value in the store
- Cannot display properties of some iterable resources
- Cannot open a folder containing index.html
- NSSv5.1.7.web app index.html at root opens on web app but (root)/index.html serves mashlib
- The README was not published with 1.7.0
- Adds optional cancelButton to end of tabs
- Filter panes based on user roles
- Global panes should replace the view for normal panes
- Only show panes based on the type of user
- Adding audience to panes and filtering based on that and user roles
- Separating dashboard and outline
- Adjusting for changes in global dashboard in solid-panes
- Adding normalize via NPM
- Fixes to user-menu after replacing reset.css with normalize.css
- WIP - starting a little doc for tracker config
- Menu does not show Profile image
- Can edit Trusted App URL but does not save
- Multiple Green Pluses on Sharing Pane
- Fix typo: contets -> contents
- How to process transformations on a container
If you are keen to get started but are not sure where, check out the list of tasks. If you need help on something specific or know of something that would be useful to do make sure it’s listed by submitting a pull request
Until next week!