18th July 2019
Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Solid!
Solid is a voluntary global technical specification for building interoperable software. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Contact the Solid Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a pull request. Want to get involved? We love contributions.
Updates from the Solid Community
News & Blog Posts
Have you seen any articles about Solid this week? If you’ve seen any articles or written blog posts about Solid please do send them over for next week.
Call for Participation
Always wanted to contribute to open-source projects but didn’t know where to start?
This week we started a place to highlight some tasks from the Solid community for you to pick and get started. Some of these tasks may also have mentors available, visit the task page for more information.
If you are working on Solid and looking for contributors, please submit tasks here.
New Solid Panels
Solid Panels are groups of individuals focused on a specific problem or domain relevant to Solid, with an aim to propose changes to the Solid Specification, Solid Roadmap, and/or Supporting Documentation. Anyone may join a panel or suggest a new panel.
- The Outreach Panel was started this week with the aim to develop proposals about how to technically link to other initiatives to build positive win-win collaborations. If you are interested in the topic join the Outreach Panel.
- The Solid Teaching Material Panel was started this week with the aim to produce content to be able to effectively teach people to build Solid identity providers, Pods, and apps. If you are interested in the topic join the Solid Teaching Material Panel.
- The Specification Entry Documenent Panel was started this week to create a structure for the document at https://github.com/solid/specification/, and the division in documents it links to and well as translating the community consensus regarding the application of the specifications mentioned in this document into a clear, unambiguous and implementable text. If you are interested in the topic join the Specification Entry Documenent Panel.
- The Internationalisation Panel was started to ensure internationalisation is taken into consideration during the Solid design. If you are interested in the topic join the Internationalisation Panel.
- The Accessibility Panel was started to ensure that the technical decisions are taking accesibility considerations into account. If you are interested in the topic join the Accessibility Panel.
Active conversations about proposals
- The Specification Entry Documenent Panel have put forward a proposal for the specification structure. If you have any thoughts on this proposal submit them on this issue.
Reviewed Solid Proposals Reviewed
Candidate proposals to the Solid Specification, Solid Roadmap, or Supporting Documentation submitted for review go through an editorial process before they are accepted. You can read more about the details of the submission and review process of proposals here.
- After weeks of conversation and co-creating the process document explaining how we can make collective decisions has been through the review process. You can read the final result of the decision making process.
New and Updated Apps, Pods, and Identity Providers
Quote of the week
coming soon :) If you have any suggestions for your favorite quotes let us know.
Solid Events are run by members of the Solid community like you. Solid Event organisers write tips for a organising successful Solid events here
There are two confirmed Solid Events coming up.
|2019-07-20||Solid Beijing||Ivy Dom|
|2019-08-11||Solid Cologne||Angelo Veltens|
Until next week!