26th September 2019
Hello and welcome to another edition of This Week in Solid!
Solid is a set of open specifications, built on existing open standards, that describes how to build applications in such a way that users can conveniently switch between data storage providers and application providers and take the data generated along.
This is a weekly summary of Solid progress.
Want something mentioned? Contact the Solid Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. This Week in Solid is openly developed on GitHub. If you find any errors in this week’s issue please submit a pull request.
Want to get involved? Contributions are welcome.
Every Thursday there is an hour-long public call where newcomers can introduce themselves, anyone can ask general questions about Solid, and we recap the weeks’ works on Solid.
Tune in at this line:
- on the 2nd January 2020 at 16:00.
- on the 9th January 2020 at 10:00.
- on the 16th January 2020 at 16:00.
- on the 23rd January 2020 at 10:00.
- (and so on, alternating at 10:00 CET and 16:00 CET, unless otherwise noted here)
Weekly Solid Call
Every Thursday there is an hour long public call where newcomers can introduce themselves, anyone can ask general questions about Solid, and we recap the weeks works on Solid. This week Jim, Alessandra, Dan, Michiel, Jackson, Justin, and Dmitri tuned in and we had a round of introductions. Then we talked through the activity in the panels this week which included: data interoperability, authorisation and access control, and authentication. The issues on the specification respository define the scope of work that needs to be done, there was an invitation to read through these, comment and add any issues that you feel are missing.
Next weeks call will be on the 3rd October at 1000 CEST on this line.
Talks & Articles
Have you seen any articles or talks about Solid this week? If you’ve seen any talks, articles, or written blog posts about Solid please do send them over for next week.
- 26-09-2019 Ruben Verborgh in Pakhuis de Zwijger, Amsterdam
- 01-10-2019 Dmitri Zagidulin about Internet Identity Workshop, Mountain View
- 10-10-2019 Mitzi László in Data Ethics Forum, Copenhagen
- 24-10-2019 Mitzi László about Ada Lovelace Festival, Berlin
Upcoming Solid Events
Solid Events are run by members of the Solid community like you. If you are interested in organising a Solid Event you may be interested in reading the tips for a organising successful Solid events here.
|10-10-2019||Solid Amsterdam||Jeroen van Beele|
|11-10-2019||Solid Copenhagen||Sarmad Reda|
Solid Events are run by members of the Solid community like you. Solid Event organisers write tips for a organising successful Solid events here
- The brand new version 0.9 of Startin’blox is out in beta this week ! This version includes Ld-flex, the store that allows the app to get data on the server. This is the second Solid library that has been integrated into Startin’blox after Solid-auth. Thousand thanks to Ruben and his teammates, for their initiatives and contributions.
The scope of work that needs to happen on the Solid specification has been written down as issues which you can read here. If you feel something is missing from the scope of the Solid specification submit an issue. On Friday the editors will define which issues to include in the milestone to be delivered on December 19th which will define the focus of work until then.
Panel work included:
- Data Interoperability - use case where feedback is very welcome
Updates on Solid Projects
Solid projects are activities happening on the Solid GitHub other than panels. Below are the links to where there were active conversations on each of the projects.
Work is ongoing on a number of small tweaks to the Data Browser. The new version can currently be tested here.
Until next week!