8th August 2019
Hello and welcome to another edition of This Week in Solid!
Solid is a set of open specifications, built on existing open standards, that describes how to build applications in such a way that users can conveniently switch between data storage providers and application providers and take the data generated along.
This is a weekly summary of Solid progress.
Want something mentioned? Contact the Solid Manager at email@example.com. This Week in Solid is openly developed on GitHub. If you find any errors in this week’s issue please submit a pull request.
Want to get involved? Contributions are welcome.
Every Thursday there is an hour-long public call where newcomers can introduce themselves, anyone can ask general questions about Solid, and we recap the weeks’ works on Solid.
Tune in at this line:
- on the 2nd January 2020 at 16:00.
- on the 9th January 2020 at 10:00.
- on the 16th January 2020 at 16:00.
- on the 23rd January 2020 at 10:00.
- (and so on, alternating at 10:00 CET and 16:00 CET, unless otherwise noted here)
Updates from the Solid Community
News & Blog Posts
Have you seen any articles about Solid this week? If you’ve seen any articles or written blog posts about Solid please do send them over for next week.
- The future of the decentralized web by the Berkman Klein Center
Conversations on the Open Source Process
There is a conversation about the prefered repository for specification proposals and what to do with other repositories to minimise confusion here.
Panel Conversation to Generate Proposals
Solid Panels are groups of individuals focused on a specific problem or domain relevant to Solid, with an aim to propose changes to the Solid Specification, Solid Roadmap, and/or Supporting Documentation. Anyone may join a panel or suggest a new panel by submitting a pull request.
Here is an overview of active panel conversations this week.
Weekly App Authorisation Panel calls have started. You can join the panel and find out the call in details here.
|What is the scope of the Solid specification?. On the W3C Solid Community Group call on the 1st August there was a conversation about which repository of Solid GitHub to identify as the normative specification where proposals in the form of pull requests should be submitted to? and what should be done with repositories that could be considered confusing to avoid confusion? In response an issue has been opened where you can submit proposals on how to resolve it and vote by putting a thumbs up or thumbs down on proposals you support or don’t support.||Explaining the Vision Panel|
|Determine HTTP to HTTPS upgrade mechanism||Specification Entry Document Panel](https://github.com/solid/process/blob/master/panels.md#specification-entry-document-panel)|
|Status messages for client errors||Unknown|
|create use cases doc||App Authorisation Panel|
This week there were no conversations about the Solid roadmap.
This week there were no conversations about the supporting documentation.
Panel Proposals for Editorial Review
Anyone may propose improvements by submitting proposals for the Solid Specification, Solid Roadmap, or Supporting Documentation. Submitted proposals are reviewed through an editorial process before they are accepted.
Below are a list of proposals that are ready for editorial review. If you are part of a panel and want to add a proposal for editorial review submit a pull request to add them to the list below.
|Add HTTP section||Specification Entry Document Panel||Specification|
|Add CORS section||Specification Entry Document Panel||Specification|
Reviewed Solid Proposals
Candidate proposals to the Solid Specification, Solid Roadmap, or Supporting Documentation submitted for review go through an editorial process before they are accepted. You can read more about the details of the submission and review process of proposals here.
- GET on ANY container with an index.html returns HTML, not Turtle
- Modifying new-account templates doesn’t seem to work
- Stop try parent on HTTP STATUS 200
- Will prepend the name of the pane if multiple panes create same class
- This allows external code to get the list of dashboard panes
- Login/profile workflow
- Dev profile - tweak color preferences form
- Dev-profile – tweaks to the profile color form
- Alternative solution to https://github.com/solid/solid-ui/issues/78
- This should make the model correct wrt default values
- Making sure that list of pods are loaded
- Issues with databrowser as deployed for testing on dev.inrupt.net
- Header with link to pod
- Added TypeScript to make code base easier to maintain
- Adding prettier and Standard JS to maintain code base better
- Allows you to select a tab by name
New and Updated Apps, Pods, and Identity Providers
This week there was a new app:
- Solid Weather uses the national weather service API so it is currently only able to fetch weather in the United States.2019. Dylan Martin. Users can switch between this app and Solid Calendar
There have also been updates to:
- Solid Focus, a Task Manager for Solid. The latest update includes editing, scheduling, describing, and deleting tasks.
Solid Events are run by members of the Solid community like you. Solid Event organisers write tips for a organising successful Solid events here
|10-10-2019||Solid Amsterdam||Jeroen van Beele|
Until next week!